Advisory Group on matters of Countries and Economies
with Emerging Metrology Systems
The Advisory Group acts as an interim body that provides advice to the OIML on the matters of countries and economies with emerging metrology systems (hereafter referred to as: developing countries), especially for the following matters:
- to propose recommendations in respect of OIML policies affecting developing countries;
- to guide and assist developing countries to establish and/or improve their national metrological systems;
- to seek funding from all OIML Member States and relevant international aid organizations;
- to provide aid resources for developing countries and organize aid activities;
- to promote awareness of the role of metrology among the public and governments of developing countries;
- to enhance the enthusiasm of developing countries to participate in OIML activities;
- to promote the adoption of OIML International Recommendations and Documents in developing countries;
- to propose consultation with and suggestions to Regional Legal Metrology Organizations (RLMOs) in respect of their activities affecting developing countries;
- to investigate the cooperation intentions and needs of all OIML Member States and economies, especially the needs of developing countries.
In support of this role the Advisory Group will perform the following tasks in relation to the OIML developing countries:
- launching web pages focused on developing countries issues on the OIML website, mainly for communication and information exchange;
- organizing a survey of the needs of developing countries;
- establishing a database of experts available for consulting work;
- collecting and sharing information that will help developing countries to establish laws and regulations on their national metrology infrastructures;
- organizing the development of guidance and procedures that are based on the OIML Recommendations and Documents;
- organizing workshops on chosen subjects;
- strengthening communication with the RMLOs (and RMOs) to collaborate on projects of common interest.
Periodicity of meetings
The Advisory Group will meet at least once a year, usually in conjunction with a CIML meeting.
Composition of the Group
The Advisory Group will consist of:
- the CIML President and Vice-Presidents (ex officio);
- the Director of the BIML (ex officio);
- a representative nominated by each of the RLMOs;
- other volunteers among the CIML Members;
- other experts co-opted by the group to serve in a personal capacity.
All group members (except those who are ex officio) are appointed, nominated or co-opted for a three-year term with the possibility of reappointment for three-year terms without limitation.
Chair and Secretariat of the Advisory Group
The chairperson of the advisory group is appointed by the CIML.
BIML staff and staff from P. R. China will operate together as a co-secretariat of the advisory group.
- coordinates the activities of the advisory group;
- may represent the OIML on matters of developing countries in meetings of other international organizations;
- chairs the meetings of the group;
- reports on the group’s activities at the CIML meeting.
- organizes the meetings of the group;
- prepares meeting minutes to be distributed to CIML Members and, as appropriate, to other participants in the meeting;
- prepares a summary of discussions for the information of CIML Members.
Download the Terms of Reference as a PDF file: